One thing I’ve noticed about repatriating to the USA is that people are always asking me, “Are you okay?” Like they are so concerned about me, like they assume I hate being back in the USA. I do appreciate the concern – it was difficult to leave England, and I would rather have some acknowledge culture shock than ignore it! But on the other hand, it was my decision to move back to the USA. I wanted to come back for multiple reasons, and it’s definitely been the right decision for me.
I also feel like I’ve been being a bit negative on le blog lately. These two recent blog posts (1 & 2) were both me speaking my truth, but also kind of downers. Which is all to say, I think some sunshine and rainbows is a bit overdue on Endless Distances!
I’ve been keeping a little note on my iPhone for the last two months that I’ve been living back at home in Michigan. A little list of small things I love about repatriating to the USA. So on this bleary Wednesday… I thought I would share!
What I Love About Being Back in Michigan
- Having a fireplace – my favorite smell
- So many flat running routes!
- I can literally drive down the road and hang out with my childhood friends
- Easily finding half & half and gluten free cheerios in the store
- THE SOY MILK TASTES SO MUCH BETTER IN AMERICA
- Free shopping carts at the store (okay I know you get refunded in the UK but I never had a pound coin with me at the shop!)
- Everything stays open later
- I can use Poshmark to resell my clothes. It only works in the USA and you get a much better deal than on Ebay.
- Shop my closet here
- So much family time
- Not having people ask me where I’m from every time I meet someone new.
- Okay, I kind of liked this part of being an expat as it made me feel “special.” But it also got old, and it always made me feel like an outsider. It was always being pointed out that England wasn’t my “home” because of my accent – and no matter how long I lived there that would be the case. And sometimes ya girl just ain’t in the mood!!
- Lots and lots of yoga studios – there was only one yoga studio where I lived in England and it closed down!
- The little one-screen old-fashioned movie theatre in the town next to mine, where you can see a movie for $4 with $1 popcorn!! I’ve been going every week.
- My favorite hairdresser, Wendy.
- Actually getting to see my baby niece!!!
- Good, cheap sushi
- My gym has a hot tub 🙂
- High quality facials
- Seeing my doctor quickly
- Also seeing the same doctor every time
- Not having to use the dark web/weird internet extensions to watch my fave TV shows
- Nobody asks me about Trump like they expect me to explain my entire country’s political division. Nobody asks me about Trump at all. IT’S AMAZING.
YAY!!! I know not all these things are specific to repatriation or to Michigan… I probably could have found a gym with a hot tub or brought pound coins to the store in England tbh. But, I’m lazy. And some things are just home comforts, you know?!
Tell me what you guys love about home (whether that’s living abroad, or where you grew up, or a new state). I would love to hear about your favorite things.