Long distance relationships aren’t easy, and they often feel isolating. I’ve found that reading long distance relationship quotes has the power to pull me out of my loneliness.
Quotes are powerful – suddenly, you realize your experience is shared.
I’ve spent my share of time browsing Pinterest, so I know some of the long distance quotes out there are pretty depressing. In my opinion, you don’t need LDR quotes to rub in the fact your love is far away (4,000 miles away, on a separate continent for us). You need them for motivation, and remembering why you’re doing this crazy thing.
That’s why I’m sharing the best long distance relationship quotes below – focused on motivating quotes that will make you feel solidarity, inspiration, determination, and above all: love.
Looking for more long distance relationship motivation?
37 Gift Ideas for Long Distance Relationships
9 Inspiring Long Distance Relationship Stories
How to Make an International Long Distance Relationship Work
51 Best Long Distance Relationship Quotes
1. “You may be out of my sight, but you’re all I see.”
2. “Yes, I believe in long distance relationships. There are seven billion people in the world, you really think your soul mate lives down the street?”
3. “I exist in two places. Here, and where you are.”
4. “In many ways, the art of love is largely the art of persistence.”
5. “Time is the longest distance between two places.”
6. “Love knows no boundaries and no distance; miles and obstacles mean absolutely nothing in the face of love.”
7. “Let there be spaces in your togetherness, and let the winds of the heavens dance between you.”
8. “Distance is just a test to see how far love will travel.”
9. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”
10. “Will it be easy? Nope. Will it be worth it? Absolutely.”
11. “If we survive this distance, our love can be endless.”
-Michael T. Coe
12. “Distance means so little when someone means so much.”
13. “Don’t wait to be together. You already are.”
14. “In true love, the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged.”
15. “Years from now, our past will be a story – a story of long days and lonely nights, hard work and lack of sleep. We’ll live each day having intimately known the pain of being apart. We’ll appreciate and embrace our time together, knowing how lucky we are to have made it through, and we’ll find solace in the promise of a future together.”
16. “Two people don’t have to be together right now, in a month, or in a year. If those two people are meant to be, then they will be together somehow at sometime in life.”
17. “Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great.”
-Roger de Bussy-Rabutin
18. “Love will travel as far as you let it. It has no limits.”
19. “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.”
20. “All of the best love stories have one thing in common: you have to go against the odds to get there.”
21. “The simple lack of her is more to me than others’ presence.”
22. “I like the way you make me feel, even when you’re nowhere near.”
23. “Though we may be miles apart, we’re always under the same sky.”
24. “If distance were measured in terms of the heart we’d never be more than a minute apart.”
25. “You have to go wholeheartedly into everything in order to achieve anything worth having.”
-Frank Lloyd Wright
26. “Distance gives us a reason to love harder.”
27. “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.”
-Edna St. Vincent Millay
28. “I can’t wait for the day when I don’t have to go online to be with you.”
29. “I believe in the immeasurable power of love; that true love can endure any circumstance and reach across any distance.”
30. “Missing someone gets easier everyday because even though you are one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will.”
31. “I don’t cry because we’ve been separated by distance, and for a matter of years. Why? Because for as long as we share the same sky and breathe the same air, we’re still together.”
-Donna Lynn Hope
32. “If love cannot stand the test of time, then it has failed the test of love.”
33. “My heart is your home, wherever in the world you are – you will always have a place to stay.”
34. “I never got to tell him again that he really was wrong, that miles didn’t matter, not if you loved someone. That borders and oceans weren’t obstacles, not for the mind. I wished I’d been able to tell him these things, because saying them out loud to someone real, instead of a mirror or a picture postcard, would have made them all the more convincing.”
35. “Ocean separates lands, not souls.”
36. “Thank God for men who manage to hold from afar, wipe tears away with tender words and dish out the life force that is hope. She has never felt so alone but out there, across an ocean, and in a foreign land, there is a man who loves her and would lay down his life just so she could feel the light once again.”
-Donna Lynn Hope
37. “Not seeing you every day is hard, but not having you in my life would be worse.”
38. “One day the plane ticket will be one way.”
39. “I am jealous of everybody who can see you every day.”
40. “How lucky I am, to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”
– A.A. Milne
41. “I’ll hold you in my heart, until I can hold you in my arms.”
42. “And then she knew, you could be homesick for people, too.”
43. “It’s true, we don’t have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love.”
44. “We were together even when we were apart.”
45. “I knew when I met you, an adventure was going to happen.”
46. “Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars.”
47. “The longer the wait, the sweeter the kiss.”
48. “Love is not finding someone to live with. It’s finding someone you can’t live without.”
49. “Being close is the first and last desire of lovers, but being far and loving each other without an inch’s difference is the characteristic of real love.”
50. “Can miles truly separate? If you want to be with someone you love, aren’t you already there?”
51. “It is a risk to love. What if it doesn’t work out? Ah, but what if it does?”
Hopefully these long distance relationship quotes make you feel a little less alone. I promise that even though long distance relationships are painful at times, they are so, so worth it.
At least, that is what Dan and I have found. If you want to read about our international long distance relationship story, check out this blog post with tips we’ve learned over the years. You can also read inspiring stories from other long distance couples here, and my very detailed guide to starting a long distance relationship.
And finally, I know there are many of you who didn’t plan on being long distance – but life happens! Our favorite long distance date ideas might be just the thing to keep you going.
Pin it for later…
I used to do the same thing when Nick and I were separated by distance. I still remember the pain and isolation I felt when we were long distance and everyone around me was with their partners physically. It was so hard on me.
“Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” — I think that this is my favorite one in the bunch because it just shows that when you are long distance, you really learn how much you care for each other.
One of my favorite quotes about love is:
“Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it’s cracked up to be. That’s why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don’t risk anything, you risk even more.” – Erica Jong
I clung to this quote a lot when Nick and I were long distance. It’s not specifically about long distance but I think it applies so well.